Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Margaret Throsby.

I don't know if it's just me, but I often imagine what songs I will pick when I become famous enough to be asked onto Margaret "Throbbers" Throsby's program on Classic FM.
It used to be that the guest had to, quite naturally I think, confine their choices to classical music. I don't know when exactly it happened but some time over the last number of years they changed it so Popular Music from the Hit Parade could be included. Scandalous, I know. I can only imagine the switchboard at the ABC lighting up with complaints from the change-a-phobic blue rinse brigade when that happened.  However, because I am down with the youth of today and am quick to embrace change like a mofo I am ok with this development.

I've been giving this issue considerable thought and have devised the following list.  It contains songs from every stage of my life, in no particular order.

1. Blossom Dearie - "Surrey with a Fringe on Top". M introduced me to the pleasures of Blossom Dearie along with other esoteric artists as Serge Gainsbourg, George Brassens, Depeche Mode and Flock of Seagulls.



2. Dubliners - "Dirty Old Town". This one's for my Dad who comes from a dirty old town himself.  And in case you hadn't realised so far, I love the Dubliners.  They are as relevant today as they were in their heyday, whenever that was.



3. James Taylor - "Sarah Maria". This one's for my mum, who loves herself a bit of 70s folk action and was inspired by the gentle warblings of James Taylor to name me after this song.





4.  Cyndi Lauper - "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun".  This was my performance piece as a precocious toddler.  Mum used to wheel me out for weddings, parties, anything.




Sorry about the foul and offensive ad at the beginning. Urgh.

5.  Claude Debussy - "Girl with the flaxen hair".  This was a song I used to play on the piano when I was but a mere chit of a girl, and being as how I was sporting some "flaxen hair" myself at the time I always felt a fondness for it.

What's that you say? Why yes, Mr Darcy, I will let myself be persuaded to serenade you with a song on the pianoforte, for I esteem, nay LOVE you greatly and with an abiding passion.  Oh, sir, unhand me I say!  I am a good girl sir from a good family! It won't do! Unhand me you devil. Oh, I hate you! No I love you! No, wait I hate you! Oh I am all at sea.

Ahem.

Sorry about that.  Moving right along.






6. Old Blind Dogs - "The Battle of Harlaw" aka Diddieioh. P's favourite song in the whole world and makes me think of driving away in the car when we went to the hospital to have B, me sobbing like a maniac from anxiety and sadness and worry and generally mentalness, while she bravely waved goodbye in Mum's arms.



7. Tori Amos - "Winter".  From the "emo" years.  Tori you got me through a lot.





I could go on but I think I've already used up my alotted time.

Margaret, thanks for having me on to talk about how famous and successful I am and to encourage others to be famous and successful and rich and famous like me.  I hope my inspirational mega mix has provided your listeners with joy, pleasure, relaxation, boredom, indifference or anger as they see fit.

There's no right response to the music, people, just let it wash over you like the humidity in a Bunnings warehouse.


12 comments:

  1. I love James Taylor, he has one of those calming voices - he is like a musical therapist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes me too but I also can't help but remember that Simpson's episode where Homer is stuck in space with all the ants and James Taylor sings him Fire and Rain and then rescues him by remembering how he and Art Garfunkel created a vacuum to get rid of the ant problem at their log cabin.

      Delete
  2. I always knew we were soul sisters! Thank you so much for introducing me to Blossom Dearie. And I have always loved Dirty Old Town from hearing it in Irish pubs but never knew who sang it. Off to find some more of the Dubliners! And how clever were you with your Debussy? Not to mention what a cultured miss P is to be liking the Scottish warring ballads! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R, I'm glad I've spread the love about my special songs! Yes, clever I was. I peaked too soon. Mediocrity ever since I'm afraid.

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised there was not some strange french tunes in there. I'm assuming M still listens to it whilst wearing his beret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annyce, M does everything wearing his beret! But no, not I. I guess if he chose his top Throsby numbers he'd include a bit of La Mer action or something similar xx

      Delete
  4. Am down with the debussy flaxen hair. Used to play it myself on ye ol violin. Check out this joshua bell version (it's a hair-raiser).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4XgxduIv_0

    x Bron (in Bangkok)

    Damn hyperlink function doesn't work. You'll have to find it MANUALLY. I know... I know... I'm sorry, alright...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bron from Bangkok, your English is excellent for a Thai person. Haha, seriously, I like how you clarified which Bron you are just in case I didn't know who you were...I will listen to this asap. I heart Joshua Bell BIG TIME!
      I didn't know you played this on the violin in your child prodigy days!!?? No wonder we are friends xx

      Delete
  5. Whenever I see that Cyndi Lauper video, I feel like a teenager again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talk about Eclectic !I havent heard of Blossom Dearie for many a year!

    I 've always liked Cyndi. I remember she was a guest on Australian Idol and she showed the "singers" how to warm up before singing. (did you ever notice how many of them start singing a song off key, til they warm up for the big applause winning note).Finally here was someone who could say something more than ..well nothing



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eclectic indeed! Cyndi is great. Yes I remember she was on Oz Idol. They are always off key on those shows it is true!!
      I'd never heard of blossom dearie until M played her.for me so it reminds me of him :-)

      Delete

Vent your spleen! You know you want to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...